Farnsworth gets blown out saturday.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve on April 16, 2001 at 14:18:45:

Capt. Tim of the Great Escape aborted the Farnsworth try Saturday due to swell. I respect and agree with that decision because I've seen divers get injured from bucking swim steps and latters, also the vis had to be the secondary issue. He advised me to try again maybe next time we'll make it there.

Thanks to the crew for helping get me going with a problem DIN valve. After switching my tank changing to a yoke and adding some weight to my belt as was able to get in a 20 minute quicky dive. I also had problems staging the pony instead of back mounting it. The staging causes to much drag and is in the way, the pony is going in the rear like I usually have it. The water is warming up from last month, 57 degrees and the kelp looks healthy with all the nutrients in the water. Ribbon like kelp with huge singular 15" leaves wide covered the bottom at 90' at Blue Cavern. Two dives at Bird Rock, I saw a unusual 8-9" male Sheaphead that was smaller than the females that were abundant. Purple Jelly reported at he kelp line, I did my second dive there do try to capture on film the existence of Cacaradon Carcarious(sp) at Catalina. Fourth dive at Lions Head and Capt. Tim reported that squid eggs at 70' in the sand, nup couldn't find em and still no landlord either. Saw a dinner plate size AB eating a stalk of kelp, gas bulb and all. Two Calico bass were taken 1-6 lbs and 1-5lbs, looked very tasty.

Great boat and crew, especially the cook. RS provided the divemasters who were excellent. Thanks.

Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]