diver.net

What the heck is going on at Padi?

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Captain Tim Burke on January 23, 2006 at 17:24:35:

Ok, what the heck is going on? Now twice in as many weeks a Padi instructor has told my crew that they are to give the weight belt of the student to the crew, on the swim step, and for us to take care of it.
One of my crewmembers came to me and told what was going on. He told me that he refused to take the weight belts as I had instructed them the previous week. When the instructor came aboard I went over to her and asked her about this. She said it was the Padi standard for us to take the weight belts.
I told her that we would not do this because of the danger it incurs. And went on to tell her that a crew member could drop the belt and it could hit a diver, or that if the diver did not secure their weights properly on the weight belt and the weight itself could slip off and hurt someone, or worse. Her only response to this was that this is a Padi standard.
I have talked to several instructors, and course directors since then. None of them have told me that this is the Padi standard. What bothers me is two different instructors have insisted that in fact this is the Padi standard.
I cannot believe that Padi would make this a standard. It is potentially very dangerous, and I will not allow it on my boat. I have talked to other Captain/owners and they concur.
Does anyone have in writing about this new, apparent policy?

Captain Tim Burke
Great Escape Charters, Inc

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to