diver.net

Re: Re: My own biggest beef is the gill nets

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Knight on November 20, 2008 at 15:05:58:

In Reply to: Re: My own biggest beef is the gill nets posted by halibug on November 20, 2008 at 14:02:17:

This is taking what's happening here in the MLPA process way out of context. First of all, there is basically no gill netting left in California waters. The big lawyers couldn't stop the systematic dismantling of the fishery. What you are alluding to is a federal issue and to use it as an excuse to degrade the importance of Marine Protected Areas is ridiculous. MPA's are the tools that we use to protect and enhance the ecosystem after we eliminate the harmful fishing practices. That's the point of the law. And as for lawyers coming to the meetings, this is already a law. It's not a matter of if we are going to have MPAs but rather how much is going to be set aside for them. That's where the public voice and stakeholders come in and why we should be involved and who has more expertise than the dive community on what's going on on our reefs.

If you're not interested in the process fine. Don't get involved and let people who are interested do the best they can. You'll just have to live with the consequences. That being said, I think to post here and allude that this process is a waste of time somehow is really low.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to