Understanding the *solutions* before you get into the water

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on November 07, 2001 at 10:30:27:

Ken Kurtis wrote:

Bottom line when it comes to providing the solution that would have prevented this problem is . . . we don't know, it's impossible to say with any certainty, and anyone who claims otherwise either is pushing a hidden (or not-so-hidden) agenda or simply doesn't know what they're talking about. (IMHO.)

Ken,

I think this may get lost in the thread below and I think this statement highlights the fundamental disagreement that you and I share.. This statement above, in my view, makes absolutley no sense, and it underscores our varying philosophies.. I, along with anyone that shares a DIR philosophy, attempts to solve as many problems as they can BEFORE they happen, and would rather not come up with some ad hoc solution once the problem has already occured and hope it works..

I can't for the life of me understand how you can advance a theory that purports to suggest that * we don't know what the solution and/or prevention* was... By simply comparing the tables you'll see that had Marta used a 32% mix and did the same EXACT profile she would have had atleast 5 remaining minutes available BEFORE she would have hit her NDL..

If you don't accept that, on the one hand, she clearly violates the NDL on an air table, but had 5 more additional minutes remaining before any NDL violations occured, then you have no faith in the standard industry tables...

You're advancing a theory that since she didn't dive Nitrox we can't tell what may have happened therefore I'm speculating to advance my agenda, when in reality all I'm doing is using Marta's accident as a way to highlight that based on the FACTS, she violated the NDL's using air and suffered a DCI hit, and had she done the same EXACT dive and just used Nitrox instead she could have stayed 5 more minutes, or if she ascended at the same profile she had a SUBSTANTIALLY greater safety margin and would very likely have not gotten bent..

You choose to ignore that, but we'll choose to focus on the fact that from a risk analysis standpoint, choosing the right gas for the job on a deep wreck dive is much safer then worrying about your mythical legal liability concerns...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]