diver.net

Re: Re: The Seaweed Rebellion: North Coast Enviros Battle Schwarzenegger and Big Green Over MLPA

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on June 21, 2009 at 10:42:38:

In Reply to: Re: The Seaweed Rebellion: North Coast Enviros Battle Schwarzenegger and Big Green Over MLPA posted by Chris Knight on June 20, 2009 at 12:39:13:

I don't know about the whole enviro-whacko conspiracy theory, I haven't formed an opinion on it either way, but I can tell you a few things about the ab populations.
From my direct observations from diving this area almost exclusively I can tell you that there is no shortage of the mollusk.
Southern California has no abs anymore because they allowed scuba, commercial harvest, and because the water is more polluted
many abs suffered withering foot syndrome.
Up here scuba has never been allowed to take abs, there has never been a commercial fishery (for at least 60+ years), and the water is colder and cleaner.
The biggest enemy to the ab populations is poaching.
I can see in the future a group of volunteer deputized citizens patrolling the coastline and making citizens arrests. At the rate they keep cutting funding for law enforcement this may be the only way.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to