diver.net

Re: The Seaweed Rebellion: North Coast Enviros Battle Schwarzenegger and Big Green Over MLPA

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Knight on June 20, 2009 at 12:39:13:

In Reply to: The Seaweed Rebellion: North Coast Enviros Battle Schwarzenegger and Big Green Over MLPA posted by on June 19, 2009 at 20:38:10:

This is a pretty interesting "release." I'm now to believe that big oil is partnered up with the "corrupt" environmental whackos to depopulate the North Coast to open up drilling? Maybe President Obama is behind this as well. Everyone loves a good conspiracy theory I suppose.

Also, how do you call yourself an responsible environmentalist when you host this big meeting and for lunch you have one of the most damaged species in state on the menu and you call it "sustainably caught." Serving abalone on a buffet lunch is pretty lame. You want to talk about increased pressure. I'm guessing they took them all from the same spot. What does that do for the health of that population? There isn't any good data to show whether the red ab population can even support the pressure it's receiving now but whoever wrote this release has the guts to call the fishery "sustainable." I think the virtual biological extinction of abalone in the southern part of the state should prove that this population is still very much at risk.

This was written by people who aren't really interested in protecting the environment. They just want to keep fishing no matter what damage they have incurred and will continue to cause

If they were really interested in protecting their fishery, they would fund some research to check on populations. Then they could do some real modeling to project what the actual consequences of management actions might be. Instead, they have "sustainable" seafood luncheons and talk of conspiracy theories.

These are just great stewards of the ocean.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to