Renewing/recertifying

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on June 19, 2001 at 10:40:02:

Given the comments Rick Bursky made further down and a discussion that Terry May and I had yesterday at Reef Seekers (and since it's still early in the day and I'm not behind in my schedule yet), I thought maybe this would make for an interesting new thread.

Unfortunately, this may be preaching the choir because, in my experience of 20+ years teaching and supervising divers and diving, those who endorse this idea are generally the ones least in need of remedial training.

"Renewing" and "recertifying" (and please don't anyone start the stupid "semantics" bandwagon rolling) are two different animals.

By my definition, "renewal" would involve showing proof of diving and getting your card re-stamped and re-validated for another period of time. "Recertifying", to me, implies going through some sort of skill and knowledge demonstration (if not even perhaps the whole course) to show proof of competence. But in either case (with respect to for non-teaching level divers) it's more than is currently required because as of now, certification cards are good for life.

Bottom line - what do you (collectively) think?

In 1985, at a NAUI annual confab, I proposed the idea that certification cards for divers should expire periodcailly. I was roundly hooted down.

In 1990, at a DEMA seminar, I once again proposed that c-cards should expire. I was once again roundly hooted down.

In 1995, again at DEMA, I yet again (optimist that I am) suggested c-cards should expire. I wasn't as roundly hooted down this time but was told by the major aganecies that while they saw the merit, they didn't wany to be the first to do it, lest they give a marketing edge of other agencies. (I, for one, think the expiring card IS a marketing edge in and off itself, but that's another story.) There were also concerns expressed about shrinking an already-stagnant market by removing the non-diving certified divers.

IMHO, I think cards should expire every three years. At that time, you go to a dive shop with a logbook or some other proof-of-diving, perhaps sit down and complete a short and simple basic exam (20-30 key questions, including tables), pay a $10 fee, and have your card re-validated. If you're outside the 3-year window, then you'd be required to take a refresher class (pool, test, open-water dives) to get you get up to snuff.

As far as instructors go, our cards DO expire every year and we're required to renew them annually. We have to submit a statement that we've been teaching (although it could be as little as one class), or have met other requirements. Granted, it's not much and the policing/enforcement is nil (i.e., you can lie about meeting the requirements and you probably won't get caught) but there is a structure there, although it certainly could be beefed up.

As far as re-tresting of instructors (and DMs and AIs) goes, I'm all for it. The biggest thing I'd want to see done (and I periodically require this of our staff) is have them do the 440-yd. swim in 10 minutes or less. To me, it's the best indication of aerobic fitness that's required for the job. I think we have WAY too many out-of-shape instructors/DMs/AIs teaching who could be put into a physically-demanding rescue situation where they're unable to respond.

Aside from that, IMHO, "good" instructors are marked more by attitude, outlook on life and the ocean, repsect for the struggling student, good problem-solvers, good at logistics, and other intangibles that are harder to measure than a checklist of skills taught and an evaluation of how well their students mastered those skills.

Needless to sayt, this can be a VERY long dicussions (and already there have been numerous workshops done on it) so I'm going to stop here.

But have at it, group. What do you think? How would you feel about YOUR card expiring? What would you be willing to do to renew? How much would you be willing to pay (remembering that this is a business for many of us)? Will this solve any of the problems we're discussing? And remember, too, that NOTHING about this stuff (despite what some would try to have you bleieve) is black-and-white. It's all shades of gray. And it's ALL opinion (inlcuding mine) so always bear that in mind.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]