For me, DIR isn't about blindly following anything...

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by msblucow on July 19, 2001 at 09:12:12:

In Reply to: Re: Chris and Seahunt posted by seahunt on July 18, 2001 at 22:36:10:

Seahunt wrote: "Why not post the question in real terms and ask 'why do I not blindly pray to DIR and follow every procedure that they have developed and demand that all divers follow'?"

I think you're missing the point here. DIR isn't about blindly, mindlessly following proceedures or subscribing to some cult of diving. It's about keeping your mind open and aware. It's about TRYING a different way than that normally taught in recreational diving. It's about doing your homework, practicing skills, not being complacent. It's a holistic approach utilizing mind, body and equipment. If some DIR proponents come off as being strident or inflexible, it's because they've already gone through this process and they've already hit upon the most optimal solutions for most of this. It doesn't mean that they're frozen in time. If improvements in equipment or decompression theories come along, you can bet the DIR folks will be right there learning about it.

Personally, I've come to DIR gradually, over time. I never just took someone's word for it. I tried on the backplate. I made adjustments to my rig, I got rid of my console and started using just an spg. Have I blindly done everything reccomended? No.
I still use split fins, although I traded in my floppy Apollo's for the stiffer Atomics (I have some issues with my knees and found that the single-blade fins hurt too much) I still have my computer, a wrist mounted Suunto Vyper. However, I practice with the dive tables on every dive.

In all due respect, seahunt, all I've ever heard from you are knee-jerk (although detailed!) reactions to DIR and those that promote DIR. Except for the DIR seminar back in March, I've never heard that you've attended a DIR-related event, attended a fundamentals class, tried on a Halcyon backplate, used a necklace mounted octopus, or even gone diving with DIR folks when invited. How can you know what you're critiquing when you haven't even TRIED it?

Just my 2 cents....

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]